Monday, July 2, 2012

Guido Mocafico

Nature morte aux poissons (from the series Natures mortes de table), 57x64 cm, 2004
Nature Morte à la Grenade  (from the series Natures mortes de table), 62x50 cm, 2005
Omnia Vanitas (from the series Vanites), 56x43.5 cm, 2007
Lampropeltis pyromelana (from the series Serpens), 2003

I'm sure some of you have noticed some of Guido Mocafico's amazing photographs of boxed snakes floating around lately on the internet.  They're certainly not new, and I'm not sure from whence this sudden surge in popularity came from after nine years (the Serpens series was completed in 2003), but I do think they're wonderful.  I'd like to think I could show these to some of the ophidiophobic people in my life and change their minds forever, but I'm not sure it would work out that way (You'd keep this as a pet -- you'd even wear it around your neck, wouldn't you?  No?  Not even with the right outfit?).

But the snakes aren't the point here.  They're stunning, but it's the banquet and animal still life pieces that really get me.  What's uncanny about them is how easy it is to forget what you're looking at.  They're photographs, but they just look like really good still life paintings done in the style of 17th century Flemish masters like Willem van Aelst and Willem Claeszoon Heda.  It's an impressive inversion of the usual "Oh my God, it looks like a photograph!" reaction to photorealistic drawings and paintings.  I realize that some might dismiss this as technically less impressive than a painting that looks like the real thing, but having attempted to light and photograph a few of my own sculptures, I can assure you that this isn't the case.

Guido Mocafico lives and works in Paris, was born in Switzerland, and is of Italian descent.  Bam!  I just covered three countries.  But I'm going to count him as a Swiss artist for my own purposes.  You can view more of his work at his website, guidomocafico.com 

1 comment: